The factory said to be ‘Africa’s first insulin factory’ will cost Julphar Ethiopia Pharmaceutical Industry about 50 million USD.

By Asefa Mideksa |

Addis Ababa―Construction of an insulin factory with a capacity to produce 10 million vials annually will be commenced in April 2015, Julphar Ethiopia Pharmaceutical Industry announced.

The factory said to be ‘Africa’s first insulin factory’ will cost Julphar 50 million USD.

To be erected on 11,051sqm plot of land at Gerji, in Bole area , the factory will start production by the beginning of 2017.

Diabetes is becoming one of the chronic health concerns in Ethiopia, with more than 1.8 million diabetic persons in 2013.

Number of diabetic persons in Ethiopia, Sudan, Kenya and Tanzania together is estimated to be close to 6 million.

The factory will create opportunity for the country to export insulin to other African countries, besides meeting the local demand, Julphar Country Director for Ethiopia Mukemil Abdella told ENA.

The Ethiopian insulin market is not more than 2 million vials, so we will cover 100 percent of the demand of this country at the same time regulating the price, availability and accessibility of the that product. So, our fellow citizens who are affected by diabetes will not suffer from shortage and stock rapture of that medicine in Ethiopia.”

Julphar is aware of the demand and ever-increasing pharmaceutical market in Ethiopia and has plans to expand its projects, the Country Director stated.

Deputy Director of Julphar Pharmaceuticals Ethiopia Dr. Mohammed Nuri on his part stated the plant will help Ethiopia be center in insulin production in Africa by reaching the continent.

We are going to start manufacturing of insulin. So, insulin manufacturing which will be materialized very soon will be giving another great image to our country as a nation because insulin is not manufactured anywhere else in Africa. So, Julphar will make Ethiopia the insulin hub of Africa.”

The Deputy Director said besides satisfying the local demand, the factory will export 75 percent of the product other countries.

Ethiopian annual consumption of insulin vials is like 2 million, but what we are planning to manufacture in the new expansion plan is more than 10 million. So, it means only 25 percent will be consumed here, the remaining 75 percent will be for an export,” he said.

Starting its involvement in Ethiopia’s pharmaceuticals market by exporting medicines 20 years back, Julphar Gulf Pharmaceutical Industries in partnership with Med-tech Ethiopia, a local private company established the first African subsidiary, Julphar Ethiopia Pharmaceutical Industry, two years ago with 10 million USD.

Julphar Ethiopia’s investment has reached 30 million USD and its pharmaceutical plant has a capacity of producing 25 million bottles of syrup, 170 million of capsules and 400 million of tablets per annum.

Based in UAE, Julphar Gulf Pharmaceutical Industries was established in 1980 it manufactures and distributes medicine to 43 countries.

Source: ENA


 

Download Sodere app and watch new full movies for free  የሶደሬ አፕልኬሽንን በማውረድ አዳዲስ ፊልሞች  በነፃ  ተመልከቱ 

Choose your platform iPhone   Android   Roku   Apple TV

                  

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.