The Ethiopian New Year will be celebrated in a blaze of color on the streets of Footscray next Saturday.
By Paula Maud (for Maribyrnong Leader) |
The Ethiopian New Year Puagme Festival will feature traditional dance and music, an Ethiopian coffee ceremony, cultural fashion show and storytelling from elders in the Nicholson St Mall on September 5, 2015 from 11am-6pm.
The festival is one of Australia’s biggest African community events.
Ethiopia still follows the Orthodox Julian calendar which consists of 12 months of 30 days and a 13th month – Pagume (Puagme ) – of five or six days, depending on whether it’s a leap year.
This year the new year begins on September 12.
Ethiopian New Year
Saturday, September 5, 2015
Time: 11:00am – 6:00pm
Nicholson Street Mall Footscray
Ethiopian Community Association – Victoria
- Tigray Festival in Seattle Promotes Unique Ethiopian Culture
- ESFNA 2015 (Ethiopians’ Sport Festival in North America): Participant Soccer Teams
- Taste of Addis Food Festival: A Tradition in the Making
- Selam Festival, in Ethiopia, Bends Best of Traditional and Modern Music
- Ethiopian Brew Brings New Flavors to Saskatoon Folkfest
- Ethiopians Put Down Roots in Washington to Build Their Largest U.S. Community
- Taste of Ethiopia Celebrates a Culture That Is Attracted to Colorado
- Taste of Ethiopia in Denver Features Food, Music and Culture