Ethiopia is one of the 32 countries of the International Diabetes Federation (IDF) AFR region.
According to 2015 IDF study, around 415 million people have diabetes in the world and more than 14 million people in the AFR Region; by 2040 this figure will more than double.
There were over 1.33 million cases of diabetes in Ethiopia in 2015.
DIABETES IN ETHIOPIA (2015)
● Total adult population (20–79 years): 45,979,000
● Prevalence of diabetes in adults (20–79 years): 2.9%
● Total cases of adults (20–79 years) with diabetes: 1,333,200
● Number of deaths in adults due to diabetes: 23,145
● Cost per person with diabetes: US$46.4
● Number of cases of diabetes in adults that are undiagnosed: 951, 300
ETHIOPIA VS WORLD PREVALENCE OF DIABETES
The figure describes which age groups in the population have the highest proportions of diabetes. The dotted line is the distribution of diabetes prevalence by age for the world; the black line is the distribution for the region; and the country distribution is plotted in the red line. Many middle- and low-income countries have more people under the age of 60 with diabetes compared to the world average. Meanwhile, for high-income countries, a growing population over the age of 60 makes up the largest proportion of diabetes prevalence.
More information on Ethiopia is available from the CIA World Factbook.
DIABETES SCORECARD IN ETHIOPIA
IDF in partnership with its member associations developed the first Global Diabetes Scorecard designed to track the progress that national governments are making on diabetes and other non-communicable diseases (NCDs). Data have been collected and countries measured on their actions in six critical areas : National diabetes plans and policies; Health systems and access to care; Monitoring and surveillance systems; Government budgeting and finance for diabetes; Engagement and rights; National adoption of the global monitoring framework for NCDs.
The Ethiopian Diabetes Association is a member of IDF since 1985.
- Battling Breast Cancer in Ethiopia
- Ethiopia Inaugurates New Cancer Center
- Surprising Diversity of Tuberculosis (TB) Strains Found in Ethiopia
- U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Director Visits Ethiopia
- Ethiopia’s National Deworming Program to Deworm 16.5 Million Children: FMOH