Addis Ababa (Xinhua)―A sports field financed by the Chinese embassy in Ethiopia is set to enable young people and students in the sub-city of capital Addis Ababa to practice football and other sports.
At Friday’s inauguration ceremony in Kolfe Keranyo sub-city of Addis Ababa, Chinese ambassador to Ethiopia La Yifan handed over the project to Addis Ababa deputy mayor, Dilamo Otore, followed by a friendly football game between Ethiopian and Chinese.
In his address, Dilamo said the sports field would help the city promote sports activities “at the heart of the sub-cities”.
He expressed gratitude to the Chinese embassy, saying the sports field would enable young people and students in the sub-city to practice football and other sports.
He also expressed hope that the Chinese side would continue to support the city in improving the livelihoods of its residents.
Ambassador La said the sports field would provide a platform for both the locals and the Chinese communities in Addis Ababa to do sports.
It could enhance the “people-to-people relations” by bringing Ethiopian and Chinese together on the sport fields for football and other sports, he said.
“We (the Chinese embassy) have been here for the last 40 years, and we live together with our neighbors. Thus we know that Ethiopians love sports; they love football. That is the reason why we contribute this football field,” La said, adding China and Ethiopia are enjoying cordial bilateral relations in various areas.
- Chinese Cultural Troupe Performs in Ethiopia Celebrating Spring Festival
- Ethiopia Keen to Be Model in China-Africa Cooperation: Minister Ahmed Shide
- Arsenal FC Legend Ray Parlour to Visit Ethiopia to Encourage Grassroots Football
- After Years of Inactivity, Breweries Are Driving Football Development in Ethiopia
- Chinese Diplomat Calls for Collaboration in Exploring Business Opportunities in Ethiopia