This April the national carrier of Africa’s second most populous nation, Ethiopian Airlines, is celebrating its 70th anniversary. It will be running guided tours of its facilities, showcasing is history, visions of the future and current achievements.
The airline was established by the US airline company Trans World Airlines and the Ethiopian government as a joint venture. It made its first commercial flight on 8th April 1946 to Cairo from Addis Ababa.
In 1957 the first flight be an Ethiopian Aircraft commander was made, and in the same year it flew it’s first European route to Frankfurt, Germany. In 1973 Ethiopian Airlines flew it first flight to East Asia, flying to Shanghai in China. In 1988 the first flight was made to North America to Washing DC, USA and in 2013 it flew its first flight to South America to São Paulo, Brazil.
Ethiopian Airlines now has a flight network including 93 international routes and 19 domestic routes.
By 2025, Ethiopian Airlines plans to become the leading airline group in Africa in several areas: Regional service, international passenger service, cargo aviation academy, MRO, inflight catering, and ground service.
Source: Alternative Airlines
- Ethiopian Airlines to Launch Additional Flight from Delhi
- Ethiopian Airlines Introduces Boeing 777 Flight Simulator
- Ethiopian Airlines Orders Two more Bombardier Q400 Aircrafts
- Ethiopian Airlines Chosen as the ‘Best Airline in Nigeria’ by NANTA
- Ethiopian Airlines Partners with Technology Provider Mozio to Deliver Efficient Ground Transportation Services to their Passengers