The Ethiopian-Canadian music star, American Music, BET, Grammy and Juno Awards winner The Weeknd (aka Abel Makkonen Tesfaye) donated $50,000 for the Ethiopian Orthodox Church in Toronto, ON, Canada.
By Yohannes Ayalew |
The double Grammy and five Juno Awards winner Abel Tesfaye― The Weeknd ―donated the money to Menbere Berhan St. Mary Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Cathedral in Toronto.
The announcement of Abel Tesfaye’s donation came during Saturday (April 30th) night’s celebration of Orthodox Easter holiday at the Cathedral.
The head of the Cathedral, Reverend Misale Engida, stated that he and his congregation remember Abel Tesfaye coming to the church as a child.
St. Mary Ethiopian Orthodox Cathedral is one of the largest Cathedrals in Toronto and one of the biggest Ethiopian churches in North America in general. The Cathedral has been a strong faith-based institution in the social fabric of the Ethiopian community in Canada.
The Cathedral is preparing to celebrate its 25th anniversary in a variety of events spanning between May 2-8, 2016.
- Abel Tesfaye, aka The Weeknd, Wins First AMA
- The Weeknd (Abel Tesfaye): His Ethiopian Roots as Inspiration
- The Weeknd Welcomed Back by Toronto’s Ethiopian Community in Homecoming Concert
- How The Weeknd (Abel Tesfaye) Accomplished Something No Other R&B Artist Has Ever Done
- The Weeknd ‘Didn’t Even Realize’ He’s the Only Major Person of Color With an Oscar Nomination