Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia―An Ethiopian man was fined RM3,000 (~USD740) or two months jail in default by the Magistrates’ Court in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia on Tuesday for assaulting his girlfriend.
Magistrate Siti Radziah Kamarudin imposed the sentence on Mahir Mustafa Mohammed, 26, after he pleaded guilty to a charge of causing injury to Kazakhstan national Sokovola Ella, 23, with a glass bottle.
He committed the offense at the Prime Club, on the 32nd Floor, Wisma Goldhill, Jalan Raja Chulan, here at 4.30am on Aug 15.
He was charged under Section 324 of the Penal Code which provides for a prison sentence of up to three years or fine, or caning, or any two of the punishments.
Earlier, Deputy Public Prosecutor Aftal Mariz Mohamed had urged the court to impose a deterrent sentence.
Counsel Shah Rizal Abdul Manan, who represented the accused, asked for a lenient sentence as Mahir was a student at a private tertiary education and wanted to pursue his masters degree.■ (Bernama)
Source: The Star Online
- Man Acquitted in Kidnap, Rape of Ethiopian Woman in Kuwait
- A Californian Man Charged in Killing Ethiopian Singer, Actor, Poet
- Ethiopian Man Charged over Alleged Assault of an Ethiopian Government Official
- Ethiopian Woman Denied Bail in Malta after Court Proved She Fabricated Her Story for Asylum Request
- Three Suspects Charged in Multi-state Credit Card Theft Scheme; Two of Them Are Ethiopian/ Eritrean Decent