The Weeknd has donated $50,000 to the University of Toronto for a program that the university is launching on Ethiopian Studies
(Urban Islandz)―The Weeknd is giving back to his community in a major way.
The Weeknd, whose real name is Abel Tesfaye, was born in Scarborough, Canada but his parents are Ethiopians who migrated to Canada. The R&B singer made the announcement on Twitter on Saturday.
The Weeknd also encourages others to donate to the program.
The Weeknd’s donation was matched by University of Toronto professor, Michael Gervers, who donated $50,000 of his own money.
“It’s unbelievable,” Tam Gebeyehu, a board member of the Bikila Award organization, told The Star. “He grew up in Toronto as an Ethiopian-Canadian, and now he’s giving back to the community.”
Source: Urban Islandz
- Abel Tesfaye, aka The Weeknd, Wins First AMA
- The Weeknd (Abel Tesfaye): His Ethiopian Roots as Inspiration
- The Weeknd Donated $50,000 to Ethiopian Orthodox Church in Toronto
- The Weeknd Welcomed Back by Toronto’s Ethiopian Community in Homecoming Concert
- The Weeknd ‘Didn’t Even Realize’ He’s the Only Major Person of Color With an Oscar Nomination