Rio de Janeiro (AFP)— Ethiopian middle-distance star Genzebe Dibaba advanced seamlessly into the final of the women’s 1500m yesterday (Sunday, Aug 15).
The world champion, whose Somali coach was arrested in Spain in June as part of an investigation into drug trafficking, produced a last-lap kick to clock the fastest qualifying time of 4min 03.06sec, more than 13 seconds slower than her own world record.
Genzebe Dibaba will be accompanied by team-mates Dawit Seyaum, world junior champion in 2014, and Besu Sado.
Also qualifying for Tuesday’s final were Britain’s Laura Weightman and American Shannon Rowbury.
The duo also competed in the 1500m at the 2012 London Games from which six of the top nine finishers have since been banned for doping.■ AFP
Source: Malay Mail Online
- Rio Olympics: Ethiopia’s Almaz Ayana Stole the Show, Breaking World Record of 10,000m
- Ethiopia’s Etenesh Diro Advances to Final after Losing a Shoe on 3,000m Steeplechase Heat
- British Athlete Jo Pavey, “the Craziest Race I’ve Ever Been in.” Almaz Ayana, “My Doping is Jesus.”
- Rio 2016: Jemima Sumgong (KEN), Eunice Kirwa (BRN) and Mare Dibaba (ETH) Took the Medals on Women’s Marathon
- Rio Olympics: Mo Farah (GBR), Paul Tanui (KEN) and Tamirat Tola (ETH) Took Gold, Silver and Bronze Medals on 10,000m