SHIJIAZHUANG, China (Xinhua)―Ethiopian runners swept the men’s and women’s races at the 2016 Hengshui Lake International Marathon in the northern Chinese city of Hengshui on Saturday.
Woldaregay Kelkile Gezahegn bagged the men’s title in two hours, 11 minutes and 11 seconds, followed by Kenyan Lawrence Cherono at 2:11:14 and Ethiopia’s Gebretsadik Abraha Adihana at 2:11:15.
In the women’s race, Meseret Legese Regasa clocked 2:28:04 for the title. Chinese Cao Mojie came second in 2:32:33 and her compatriot Zhang Yingying was third in 2:32:45.
The annual races, which also included half marathon and 5km run, were contested around the scenic Hengshui Lake.
Hengshui Lake Marathon, launched in 2012, attracted 16,000 runners from home and abroad this year.
Results: Hengshui Lake International Marathon 2016
1. Woldaregay Kelkile Gezahegn (ETH) 2:11:11
2. Lawrence Cherono (KEN) 2:11:14
3. Gebretsadik Abraha Adihana (ETH) 2:11:15
1. Meseret Legese Regasa (ETH) 2:28:04
2. Cao Mojie (CHN) 2:32:33
3. Zhang Yingying (CHN) 2:32:45
- Ethiopian Runners Swept the Satara Hill Half Marathon
- Ethiopian Runners Dominated 2016 Beijing Marathon, Taking Five of the Top Six Spots
- Kenya’s Solomon Kirwa Yego, Ethiopia’s Workenesh Degefa Win Roma-Ostia Half Marathon, Men and Women Titles
- Ethiopia’s Yomif Kejelcha and Genzebe Dibaba Win the 3000m Men and Women’s Titles at World Indoor Championship
- Ethiopians Athletes Kenenisa Bekele and Aberu Kebede Win the BMW Berlin Marathon 2016 Men’s and Women’s Titles, Respectively