ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia (FBC)―The Sebeta town administration has arrested 1,000 suspects responsible for the violence and property damages occurred in the town recently.
Investors’ peace conference kicked off in Sebeta town, Oromia Region, today.
“Among the detainees, natives of the town are not more than 40 and 50. Majority of the detainees came from other areas of Oromia Regional State,” said Ararsa Merdasa, mayor of the town.
If there are suspects who have no involvement in the damage of the property, they will be released immediately after investigation, he added.
In consultations held with residents of the town, the people have played a significant role in identifying the suspects and the type of offenses they committed, Ararsa indicated.
He added the administration will continue bringing under control those responsible for the property damage occurred during the disturbance.
During the conference, the investors raised various questions.
They asked the administration to ensure that durable peace and security are existed to avoid the recurrence of similar disturbances and property damages.
- Ethiopia: Use of Social Media a Crime during State of Emergency
- Dutch Flower Importer Closes down after Attacked by Protesters in Ethiopia
- Ethiopian Government Unveils Rules of Implementation for State of Emergency
- Italian NGO “Doctors with Africa” Expresses Anxiety over Ethiopia’s Oromia Disturbances
- Following the Renewed Protests and Violence, Ethiopia Declares Six-Month State of Emergency