Laza Food & Beverage (Guelph, ON Canada) offers Ethiopian and Eritrean cuisine in a variety of ways
By Troy Bridgeman (GuelphToday.com) |
The ability to overcome obstacles, recognize opportunity and maintain a zest for life have been trademark characteristics of Guelph entrepreneur Melku Gebrekristos and she is just getting started.
“This is a very supportive community but people are not always eager to try new things,” she said. “We just have to be consistent – be out there everywhere. The more they see you. One day they will try.”
Melku Gebrekristos launched her trademark brand Laza Catering in 2009 selling authentic Ethiopian-Eritrean food at the Guelph Farmers’ Market, local festivals and other special events.
“In the beginning I was selling prepared food and injera, which is a different kind of bread,” she said. “Then I started doing my own hand-blended spices, selling hibiscus tea and baking with teff which is one of the super grains. It is gluten free and very nutritious.”
In 2014 she opened her own shop on Ontario Street.
“I started takeout and a buffet,” said Melku Gebrekritos. “It was more convenient for me to grow and expand the business and that is why I ended up having my own bottled drink. It is one of my best selling items.”
To market the drinks and her growing product line she incorporated the business under a revised name Laza Food & Beverage.
Continue reading this story on GuelphToday.com
- Zoma Ethiopian Restaurant to Open in Cleveland Heights, Ohio
- Tsion Cafe in New York: Keeping Ethiopian Family Tradition Alive
- Almaz Ethiopian Restaurant Opens in Lancaster with Traditional Ethiopian Dishes
- The Washington Post List: The 10 Best Ethiopian Restaurants in the Washington Area
- At Enat Kitchen (Portland, OR), Ethiopian Flavors Come Brighter and Fresher Than Anywhere in the City