Ethiopian runners, Dadi Bayene and Bizuwork Getahun win the men and women’s titles, respectively, of Richmond Marathon 2016 in Virginia.
RICHMOND, VA (AP/WRIC)―An Ethiopian runner has won the 39th annual Richmond Marathon.
According to race results available on the organizers’ website, Dadi Bayene came in first Saturday at the Anthem Richmond Marathon with a time of 2 hours 19 minutes and 36 seconds.
Dadi Bayene finished just three seconds in front of Peter Limo of Kenya.
Bizuwork Getahun of Ethiopia came in first among the women with a time of 2 hours 37 minutes and 51 seconds.
Girma Gebre of Ethiopia won the half marathon for the men and Joan Aiyabei of Kenya captured the half marathon title for the women.
An estimated 17,000 runners came out despite the chilly temperatures to participate in the marathon, half marathon and 8K races. Among the runners were some who competed last summer in the Rio de Janeiro Olympics.
- Ethiopian Athletes Sweep Top Titles at the Hengshui Lake Marathon 2016
- Mark Korir (KEN) and Mamitu Daska (ETH) Win Frankfurt Marathon 2016
- Former NYC Marathon Champion Tesfaye Jifar Longs to Get His Family out of Ethiopia
- Ethiopian Runners Dominated 2016 Beijing Marathon, Taking Five of the Top Six Spots
- South African Stephen Mokoka and Ethiopian Roza Dereje Win the 2016 Shanghai Marathon