Good Samaritan Hospital’s Doctor Jeffrey Kanel will be performing the orthopedic surgery after a colleague in Ethiopia proposed he was best suitable.
By Aja Seldon and Jeff Pierce (KRON) |
SAN JOSE, CA―Fifteen-year-old Dawit Berhanu arrived in San Jose from Ethiopia to undergo orthopedic surgery on Sunday.
Dawit Berhanu has scoliosis which is a curvature of the spine.
Doctor Jeffrey Kanel of Good Samaritan Hospital is performing the procedure after a colleague in Ethiopia proposed he was best suitable.
The Lack of medical services in Dawit Berhanu’s home country makes performing the procedure nearly impossible.
Dr. Kanel plans to install metal braces around Dawit’s spine to correct the curvature.
Dr. Kanel isn’t charging Dawit’s family a penny for the procedure.
“This is just my way of using my skill in giving back to somebody that needs help that can’t get it otherwise no other reason just to do a good thing for somebody,” he said.
Dawit’s surgery is on Sunday and he’ll have a few weeks to recover before returning to Ethiopia.
- Dinner in Fishers Restaurant Saves Sight of Girl from Ethiopia
- Ethiopian Twins Get Life-Changing Surgery Thanks to DFW Doctors
- Ethiopian Teen Goes to Jacksonville (Florida) for Life-changing Surgery
- Ethiopian Twins Recovering from Life-Changing Surgery Practice with FC Dallas
- Middlebury College Alum Corrects Spinal Deformities in Ethiopia, Changes Lives