Ethiopian athletes Fikadu Kebebe Debele and Worknesh Alemu won the 2017 Rabat International Marathon men and women’s titles, respectively
RABAT, MOROCCO (Xinhua)―Ethiopian athletes dominated the Rabat International Marathon as they swept most of the medals in both the men’s and women’s categories Rabat, Morocco.
In the men’s race on Sunday (March 06), Ethiopian athlete Fikadu Kebebe Debele won the gold medal after crossing the finish line in a time of 2:09:37, followed by Kenyan Sammy Kigen Korir at 2:09:39. Another Ethiopian, Samuel Getachew Demi, came third at 2:09:44, according to Xinhua’s report.
In the women’s category, Ethiopian athlete Worknesh Alemu won the title in 2:30:04. She was followed by Kenya’s Eunice Jeptoo with a time of 2:33:41 and the other Ethiopian, Geletu Bekelu Beji, in 2:34:05.
Some 9,000 athletes took part in the marathon.
- Lemi Berhanu and Meseret Mengistu Win the 2017 Xiamen International Marathon
- South African Stephen Mokoka and Ethiopian Roza Dereje Win the 2016 Shanghai Marathon
- Ethiopian Runners Excel at 2017 Hong Kong Marathon, Winning Both Men and Women’s Titles
- Ethiopian Athlete Hirut Guangu Repeated the Oromo Protest “X” Gesture as She Wins the Quad Cities Marathon
- Ethiopian Buzunesh Deba Named Rightful Winner of 2014 Boston Marathon, after Kenyan Rita Jeptoo Tested for Illegal Drug