Ethiopian-American Genet Lakew set up a fundraising campaign on Generosity titled “Help Black Immigrants Pay For College,” for “The Mekonnen Family Scholarship” she created.

By Monique Judge (The Root) |

Attending college can be cost prohibitive for U.S. students who don’t want to incur thousands of dollars in debt, and for students from immigrant families, the prospect is even more daunting or in some cases impossible, but one woman is seeking to change that for students of the Black diaspora with a special scholarship fund.

Genet Lakew is an Ethiopian-American student who managed to graduate with a journalism degree from Howard and a Masters degree in Africana-Studies from NYU debt-free. The 27-year-old is now in digital communications with the National Urban League, and in a recent interview with Vibe, she discusses how she is giving back by creating her own endowment, The Mekonnen Family Scholarship, to help immigrant high school students from the Black diaspora pay for college.

Genet Lakew set up a fundraising campaign on Generosity titled “Help Black Immigrants Pay For College,” and she says “the scholarship is named in honor of the humble, hardworking immigrant family I come from, who poured their hopes and dreams into me. I want the names and memories of the souls who are no longer on earth to live on through this scholarship.”

“My working class Ethiopian immigrant mother emphasized education as a gateway to opportunity and success,” Lakew wrote. “But she did not have the economic and social access to help me apply to colleges, visit campuses, pay for application fees, tuition, and housing.”

Continue reading this story on The Root
——
See also:

Download Sodere app and watch new full movies for free  የሶደሬ አፕልኬሽንን በማውረድ አዳዲስ ፊልሞች  በነፃ  ተመልከቱ

Choose your platform iPhone   Android   Roku   Apple TV

15 Responses

1. YEABSIRA TESHALE

PLEASE, I LEAVE IN DEVELOPING COUNTRY KNOWN ETIOPIA I WANT TO APPLY THIS SCHOLARSHIP BECAUSE I WANT TO LEARN ADVANCED EDUCATION SO PLEASE,GIVE ME THIS CHANCE

2. Yeabtsega

Hello,my name is Yeabtsega and I live in Ethiopia and I heard you on the television show (Helen show), I want to learn management through scholarship(2019). so please give me an opportunity. thank you

3. Getahun

hello how are you I am getahun ayele from Ethiopia I am very interesting to gain educational scholarship but need your help please would you give me this golden chance I hear ebs television in helen show thank you

• EthiopiaOnline

Dear Getahun,

Thank you for contacting us. This Scholarship is specifically designed to those who live in the United States. Moreover, it is not a full scholarship – it is just a ‘partial support’ scholarship.

Good luck,

4. Tsion Girma

Hello,my name is Tsion and I live in Ethiopia.I heard you on Helen show and I have taken grade 12 entarance exam this year.I want to learn medicine through scholarship so please give me the opprtunity.Thank you

5. Yididya

Hello my name is yididya I live in Ethiopia I heard this scholarship in Helen show and I was hoping to get this scholarship for 2019 I really appreciate it if I get this chance so please contact us thank u

6. Bezawit eyasu

Hello my name is bezawit eyasu I heard abou t u on Helen show I need better education I was wondering if you could help me thank you

7. Tefera

Helo ma name is tefera im so wondering when i heare u about u genet lakew 10 q for every thing they did to blak ppl what u start

8. rahel

hey gene my name is rahel I live in ethiopia I need this chance I want to learn in better education

9. Biniam Belay

Greetings!

It was nice to see Genet on EBS and i was impressed by your motivation to start this scholarship program. I am Biniam from Addis Ababa, i have been accepted to study MBA in International Business in the University of Bridgeport, Connecticut; I have already received my F1 visa for the Spring 2019. I haven’t received any scholarship from the University and trying to so get some grants. I would be more than happy if you can help part of my tuition.

Many thanks,
    Biniam

10. Almaz goremes

Hi geni I’m grade 11 studen I need I papply this scholarship can you help me u know my dream is a very day I get good education because I want to be international journalexam please Genet help feer scholarship get I hope u help me thank you Helen and genet

• Fiker Michael

Hi genet how are you ?I am from ethiopia . my name is Fiker Michael. I am in grade 10 .geni l want better education please help me also I have many dreams for my country not only this but also for my world . I know you help .You know I am proud of you by your work. Thank you so much geni and hellen

11. Fiker Michael

Hi geni how are you?My name is Fiker michael i am from ethiopia.geni i want better education . I have many dreams for my country not only this but also for my country. Please help me and also others.i hope that you help me. Thank you geni and hellen

12. yosabet kebede

hi geni iam from ETHIOPA i am grade 9 i am looking for scholarship the reason why iam looking for scholarship is my parents cannot pay my school fee so i need scholarship please help me as you can? thank you.