Twin sisters Hermon and Heroda Berhane recently launched a fashion blog, Being Her, where they model affordable urban and traditional Eritrean outfits to a growing audience.
By Torera Idowu (CNN) |
Fashion bloggers Hermon and Heroda Berhane were 7 when they both mysteriously went deaf at the same time. Now 34, the Eritrean-Ethiopian twin sisters have blossoming careers in modeling and acting as well as a fashion blog.
Their mission is simple. “We want to tell people around the world that you should embrace disability, not hide from it,” the twins said in an email interview with CNN.
Childhood in Eritrea: Hermon and Heroda Berhane
Growing up in Eritrea, the sisters had a happy childhood, and like many twins, they share a special bond.
Hermon once injured her cheek while riding her mountain bike. Heroda wasn’t even with her but said she knew something had happened.
“When my left cheek started hurting, I knew she was in trouble. … It was the only explanation for my pain,” Heroda said.
It took their parents a long time to realize the girls were deaf.
“We were playing together in the backyard of our parents’ house; our mother was trying to call our names, and we did not hear at all,” the twins said.
Their brother was also deaf, so the family decided to move to the UK to seek medical help.
- New Store in Northern Ireland Supports Children in Ethiopia via Hope365
- University of Michigan Gynecologist Helps Women and Children in Ethiopia
- Suit Running SMH Half Marathon Raises Funds and Shares Skills with Ethiopian School
- Yorke Peninsula Sea Kayaking Voyage (in Australia) Raises Disability Support Funds for Ethiopia
- Ethiopian Yetnebersh Nigussie: One of the 10 Activists Who Are Changing Lives for Disabled People around the World