RIGA, Latvia (Xinhua)―Joseph Kyengo Munywoki of Kenya won the men’s race and Bekelech Dada Bedada of Ethiopia was the fastest woman at the Lattelecom Riga Marathon 2017 held here on Sunday (May 14).
Kyengo Munywoki crossed the finish line with a time of two hours 12 minutes and 14 seconds, ahead of Ethiopia’s Shumie Gadisa (2.13:09) and Kenya’s Duncan Cheruiyot Koech (2:14:13).
Valerijs Zolnerovics, the best Latvian distance runner, finished fourth in the men’s competition with a new national record.
Valerijs Zolnerovics bested his own Latvian record in the marathon by 10 seconds and finished at 2:14:23.
Ethiopian runner Bekelech Bedada won the women’s race in 2:31:22, beating Japan’s Kikuyo Tsuzaki (2:32:32) and Ethiopia’s Meseret Gebre Dekebo (2:33.28).
This year’s Lattelecom Riga Marathon marks the 90th anniversary since Latvia’s first national marathon championship, which was held back in 1927.
More than 2,000 distance runners registered to take part in the classical marathon distance, but the total number of people taking part in the mass sporting event in the Latvian capital exceeded 30,000, according to the marathon’s chief organizer Airgars Nords.
- Ethiopian Athletes Win the 23rd Edition of Rome Marathon
- Tsegaye Mekonnen (ETH) and Jessica Augusto (POR) Win Hamburg Marathon 2017
- Kenyan and Ethiopian Athletes Took First and Second Places at London Marathon 2017
- Feyisa Lilesa Wins NYC Half Marathon, Continues Protest against Ethiopian Government
- Kenya’s Eliud Kipchoge Runs Fastest Marathon in History, Comes up 25 Seconds Short of Sub-Two-Hour