Atsede Nigussiem now awaiting multiple intense surgeries to try and save her face after the acid attack, which left her near-blind and melted face.
By Jon Sharman (The Independent) |
A woman has been left near-blind, in constant agony and with her mouth melted shut after her estranged husband allegedly attacked her with acid.
Atsede Nigussiem, 26, was at home in the Tigray area of Ethiopia when she opened the door to find the man there.
He allegedly launched an attack with a corrosive substance that destroyed one of her eyes and ate through the skin on her head and legs.
Her five-year-old son was sleeping nearby.
Doctors said Ms Atsede Nigussiem, who is receiving specialist treatment at a hospital in Bangkok, Thailand, cries almost constantly.
Communicating in writing, she said: “I don’t know why my husband did this. I was at my parents house late at night.
“I just opened the door and it happened. I’m heartbroken and in pain.”
Staff at Vejthani Hospital said the dying tissue must be removed from Ms Atsede Nigussiem’s face, and that new skin needs to be grafted on.
Continue reading this story at The Independent [WARNING: Story contains graphic images of severe injuries]
- Ethiopian Mother in Texas Murdered by Husband
- Native Ethiopian Woman Sentenced 7.2 Years in Prison for Her Husband’s Death
- Native Ethiopian Woman Stabbed to Death in Seattle Suburb, Her Husband in Custody
- Israel Tried to Deport Ethiopian Woman Who Escaped Her Violent Israeli Husband after 24 Years in the Country
- Ethiopian Family in Edmonton, Canada Grieving the Loss of Their Unborn Child due to Carbon Monoxide Poisoning