From his base in Tel Aviv, Gili Yalo is launching a solo career in a new project that combines Ethiopian roots with Soul, Funk, Psychedelic and Jazz music.
By Robin Murray (Clash Magazine) |
Gili Yalo knows the power of music.
As a young child, he was part of the Ethiopian Jewish community evacuated from Sudan during a devastating famine, pushed into making a perilous journey to Israel.
Singing to keep their spirits up, he saw how music could have a real impact on people’s spirits, their mood, and their lives.
It’s something that has never left him. Now working from a base in Tel Avvi, Gili’s mixture of Ethiopian funk with jazz, soul, and a whole lot more is imbued with an inspirational spirit.
New track ‘Selam’ is all vocal bursts and stuttered guitar, a funky backbeat and some glistening overlaid harmonies.
Tune in now.
Source: Clash Magazine
- How Racism Changed a Popular Ethiopian-Israeli Singer’s Ways
- Anbessa Teferra Becomes First Ethiopian-Israeli Senior Lecturer
- Israeli Educational Television Offers Ethiopian-Israeli Media Course
- “Nebsu” TV Comedy Introduces Israelis to Their Ethiopian Neighbors
- WATCH: Ethio-Israeli Singer Aveva Dese Rocks Tel Aviv with Teddy Afro’s Song
- Ethiopian-Israeli Artist Hirut Yosef Creates Gorgeous Paintings to Celebrate Her Heritage