ADDIS ABABA (U.S. Embassy)―We are disturbed by the troubling reports of ethnic violence and the large-scale displacement of people living along the border between the Oromia and Somali regions, particularly in Hararge, although the details of what is occurring remain unclear.
We urge the Ethiopian government to conduct a transparent investigation into all allegations of violence and to hold those responsible accountable. At the same time, on the local level, communities must be encouraged and given space to seek peaceful resolutions to the underlying conflicts.
We believe Ethiopia’s future as a strong, prosperous, and democratic nation depends on open and inclusive political dialogue for all Ethiopians, greater government transparency, and strengthening the institutions of democracy and justice. These recent events underscore the need to make more rapid and concrete progress on reform in these areas.
Source: U.S. Embassy, Addis Ababa
- South Sudan, Ethiopia Ranked Unstable: Fragile States Index
- Ethiopia human rights group puts spotlight on abuses in prisons
- What Is behind Clashes in Ethiopia’s Oromia and Somali Regions?
- Week of Clashes in Eastern Ethiopia Kill 50, Displace 50,000: Officials
- Freemuse Calls on Ethiopian Authorities to Drop Charges against Artists