(IAAF)―Ethiopians Getu Feleke and Feyse Tadese will start as the fastest runners in their respective fields at the Mainova Frankfurt Marathon, an IAAF Gold Label Road Race, on October 29, 2017.
Getu Feleke, 30, has an impressive best of 2:04:50 and also ran a superb course record of 2:05:41 in the 2014 Vienna City Marathon while his compatriot Feyse Tadese tops the women’s field with a lifetime best of 2:20:27.
Frankfurt will mark Getu Feleke’s return to action after a lengthy break due to injury. Among his rivals will be the defending champion, Kenya’s Mark Korir, who ran 2:06:48 last year, 59 seconds shy of his career best. Another Kenyan, Martin Kosgey, will be gunning to improve on his runner-up finish from 12 months ago. He comes armed with a 2:07:22 lifetime best.
The men’s field boasts half a dozen runners with personal bests under 2:08 while three others, including Germany’s national record holder Arne Gabius with 2:08:33, have broken 2:10.
Meanwhile, seven entrants in the women’s race have broken 2:25, setting the stage for what is likely to be another thrilling contest. Last month organizers announced Olympic 5000m champion Vivian Cheruiyot. The Kenyan produced a solid 2:23:50 run her marathon debut in London last April but will face five rivals who have run faster. Fastest among them is Feyse Tadese, the 28-year-old Ethiopian who clocked 2:20:27 at the Berlin Marathon in 2015. She was fourth in London earlier the same year.
Also to be reckoned with should be Fate Tola of Germany, runner-up last year who has a best of 2:25:14.
Read the complete “Elite Field” (Men and Women) list at IAAF
- Ethiopian Runners Sweep the 6th International Marathon of Ningxia
- Ethiopian Athletes Win Men and Women Titles of Cape Town Marathon
- USA’s Galen Rupp, Ethiopia’s Tirunesh Dibaba Win Chicago Marathon 2017
- Kenya’s Lawrence Cherono and Ethiopia’s Tadelech Bekele Win TCS Amsterdam Marathon 2017
- Former Champion Wilson Kipsang (Kenya) and Bronx Resident Buzunesh Deba (Ethiopia) Set to Run 2017 TCS New York City Marathon