Adama Ethiopian Restaurant in Columbia Heights, Minnesota, has a menu full of authentic Ethiopian dishes (available for lunch and dinner)
By Amy Rea (Heavy Table) |
COLUMBIA HEIGHTS, Min―Out with the American-Chinese restaurant Dragon House in Columbia Heights, and in with Adama Restaurant. The location changed ownership earlier this fall, and there’s nothing particularly American about the new menu (other than the kid’s menu, which is full-on American). While we were fine with the American Chinese incarnation, we were even more excited to check out a place reputed to serve authentic Ethiopian cuisine with a focus on the food of the Oromo people.
Adama has a menu full of authentic Ethiopian dishes (available for lunch and dinner). The first dish we tried was the Lentil Sambusa ($6 for 4 pieces). These were delicious, fried without being overly greasy, and generously filled with lentils and onions. The accompanying green sauce, redolent of cilantro and jalapeno, reminded us of a similar sauce at Som Taste; that’s not surprising, given that Somalia shares a sizable portion of Ethiopia’s southern and eastern borders.
Adama Ethiopian Restaurant
3970 Central Ave NE MN
Columbia Heights, Minnesota 55433
We’d heard the Doro Wot ($12), a classic Ethiopian stew of chicken and boiled egg with an intense, spicy sauce, was good here, and we decided to order that along with the Adama Combo #1 ($25), a platter with portions of Alecha Misir Wot, Tibs, and Key Wot served with Spiced Cottage Cheese, all atop injera bread.
Continue reading this story at Heavy Table
- At Awash Ethiopian Restaurant in Miami Gardens, Taste the Horn of Africa
- The Five Best Restaurants in Addis Ababa that Only Locals Know about: Lonely Planet
- Sheger Cafe and Ethiopian Restaurant Plans to Open in North Cambridge, Massachusetts
- This Ethiopian ‘gem of a restaurant’ serves delicious food, but the owner is struggling to make ends meet
- Manchester’s hidden Ethiopian restaurant doesn’t make the best first impression… but the food (and the coffee) make up for it