Good Food Foundation (San Francisco, CA) named 27 US-based coffee roasters “Good Food Awards 2018 Finalists” and all of them, except one, get their coffee from Ethiopia.
By Nick Brown (Daily Coffee News) |
Twenty seven U.S. coffee roasting companies have been named as finalists by the Good Food Foundation in the 2018 Good Food Awards.
The awards program, now in its eighth year, celebrates food products and their makers in numerous specialty food categories not merely for quality, but for sustainable sourcing and social good. Coffee is the only product category in which the ingredients don’t need to be sourced from U.S. soil.
While the coffee company finalists hail from far and wide throughout the United States, this year’s finalists list looks like a shrine to one origin in particular: Ethiopia.
The full list of 2018 GFA finalists, with the roaster’s home state listed, in the coffee category:
- Andytown Coffee Roasters, Ethiopia Idido, Calif.
- Backyard Beans Coffee Company, Ethiopia Yirgacheffe Konga, Pa.
- Big Creek Coffee Roasters, Ethiopia Gedeb, Mont.
- Black Oak Coffee Roasters, Ethiopia Hambela Alaka, Calif.
- Blueprint Coffee, Ethiopia Hambela, Mo.
- Caffe Ladro, Ethiopia Hambela Kirite Organic, Wash.
- Compelling Coffee, Ethiopia Banko Gotiti Coffee, Calif.
- Flight Coffee Co., Ethiopia Amaro Gayo, N.H.
- Huckleberry Roasters, Ethiopia Sidama Ardi, Colo.
- Intelligentsia Coffee & Tea, Organic Ethiopia Tikur Anbessa, Calif.
- JBC Coffee Roasters, Gedeb Lot 83 Ethiopia Natural, Wis.
- Metric Coffee Company, El Willay, Peru, Ill.
- Mudhouse Coffee Roasters, Limu Dabesa, Ethiopia, Va.
- Noble Coffee Roasting, Ethiopian ‘Bishan Fugu’, Ore.
- Noble Coyote Coffee Roasters, Ethiopian Guji – Organic – Natural Process, Texas
- Onyx Coffee Lab, Ethiopian Buku, Ark.
- OQ Coffee Co., Kayon Mountain Estate, Ethiopia, N.J.
- Ozo Coffee Roasters, Ethiopia Hambela Kirite, Colo.
- Pachamama Coffee Cooperative, Organic Ethiopia Kossa Geshe & Organic Ethiopia Natural Amaro, Calif.
- Per’La Specialty Roasters, Ethiopia Shakiso, Fla.
- Radio Roasters Coffee, Ethiopia Organic Guji Shakiso, Ga.
- Revel Coffee, Ethiopia Kayon Mountain Guji Dry, Mont.
- Royal Mile Coffee, Ethiopia Shakiso Mormora Farm, N.J.
- Square One Coffee, Ethiopia Shakiso Mormora, Pa.
- Tico Coffee Roasters, Ethiopia Gotiti, Calif.
- Topeca Coffee Roasters, Ethiopia Ardi, Okla.
- Vashon Coffee Company, Ethiopia Yirgacheffe Natural Daniel Miju, Wash.
The reasons Ethiopia is so heavily represented on the list are potentially many, but if we may speculate, they might include: Continue reading this story at Daily Coffee News
Source: Daily Coffee News
- Seattle’s Ethiopian Community Savors its Coffee Culture
- New Mexico Coffee Roaster Spearheads Ethiopian Water Project
- Bu’na: The Soul of Coffee Brings Ethiopian Coffee Culture to Toronto
- Garden of Coffee Cultivating Ethiopian Coffee Experience for Global Growth
- Italy and UNIDO Sign Agreement to Help Increase Incomes of Ethiopian Coffee Producers