Ethiopian-Israeli Eden Alene, 17, began sobbing and hugging her professional mentor Ivry Lider when she was announced the winner of X-Factor Israel, Season 3 under Teens Category.
By Marcy Oster (JTA) |
JERUSALEM— An Ethiopian-Israeli teenager who went viral for a performance of pop star Demi Lovato’s song “Stone Cold” won Israel’s “X-Factor 2018.”
Eden Alene, 17, of Jerusalem, an Israel native who was raised by her Orthodox Jewish single mother, began sobbing and hugging her professional mentor Ivry Lider when she was announced the winner of the competition. As the winner of “X-Factor Israel,” she gets a recording contract.
Alene wears several rubber bracelets that she says represent different happy memories. Her favorite comes from a workshop at Yale University, where she performed with a mixed Jewish and Arab choir she’s a part of that promotes coexistence.
The rising star left behind religious observance in middle school and switched to a prestigious secular school for high school.
Continue reading this story at Jewish Telegraphic Agency (JTA)
- Shy Perth Singer, Mahalate Teshome, Raises Her Voice
- Eden Rocks Israel, and “I’m Ethiopian” Is What She Tells the Judges First
- Ruth B, Daughter of Ethiopian Immigrants, Is Canada’s Latest Rising Pop Star
- Ethiopian-born Amren Abrahim Is Going Places in Australian Women’s Football League (AFLW)
- Awol Erizku: Ethiopian Artist Who Captured Instagram’s Most-liked Beyonce’s Pregnancy Photo
- Ethiopian-American Rapper Adam Daniel (aka Aminé) Finds Bold News Sound in His Family Heritage