Ethiopian Runners proved their dominance with a comfortable top-3 finishes in both men and women’s titles of the 2018 C&D Xiamen Marathon in Xiamen, China.
XIAMEN, Fujian Province, China (Indo-Asian News Service)―Ethiopian runners swept the top three spots in both men’s and women’s events at the 2018 C&D Xiamen Marathon in Xiamen on Sunday (Jan. 7).
Dejene Debela, placed fourth in 2017 Eindhoven Marathon, claimed the men’s title in 2 hours 11 minutes and 22 seconds. His compatriot Fatuma Sado Dergo won the women’s crown in 2:26:41, reports Xinhua News Agency.
Over 30,000 runners from 42 countries and regions took part in the first IAAF Gold Label Road Race of the new year as the organizing committee has invited 25 high level athletes from Kenya, Ethiopia, Ukraine, Belarus, the US and Lithuania for the annual event.
The runners challenged the heavy rain pouring down throughout the course. With the last edition encountering the rainstorm 12 years ago, the organizing committee switched the event from March to January in 2008.
“The weather is not good today and it is different from my country. It is very difficult to run in such big rain. Today is not a good time to run for better result, so I did not push myself too much,” said Dejene Debela, the 22-year-old men’s champion.
In the women’s race too, the Ethiopians proved their dominance with a comfortable top-3 finish.
Source: Gulf News Today
- Lemi Berhanu and Meseret Mengistu Win the 2017 Xiamen International Marathon
- Marathon des Alpes Maritimes: Dejene Kelkilew and Tejitu Siyum Claimed Titles
- Ethiopian Runners Excel at 2017 Hong Kong Marathon, Winning Both Men and Women’s Titles
- Kenya’s Lawrence Cherono and Ethiopia’s Tadelech Bekele Win TCS Amsterdam Marathon 2017
- Former Champion Wilson Kipsang (Kenya) and Bronx Resident Buzunesh Deba (Ethiopia) Set to Run 2017 TCS New York City Marathon