Ethiopia’s Getaneh Molla claimed victory at the Riyadh half-marathon, Saudi Arabia on Saturday February 24th earning a whopping prize money of $267,000
RIYADH (AFP)―Rain-soaked Riyadh hosted its first international half-marathon on Saturday (Feb 24) with a top prize of one million riyals ($267,000), as the conservative kingdom seeks to boost sports and entertainment in a far-reaching liberalization drive.
Hundreds of male runners raced in three categories – 21, eight and four kilometers – in a contest that started and ended at the city’s King Saud University and was called the “Riyadh Marathon”.
Ethiopian runner Getaneh Molla finished first, taking home the one million riyal cash prize.
Saudi sports authority chief Turki al-Sheikh tweeted pictures of the oldest Saudi to complete the race, 79-year-old Khalaf al-Balawi.
Riyadh half-marathon: top 5 results
1. Getaneh Molla (ETH) 1:01:53
2. Jorum Okombo (KEN) 1:01:56
3. Amdework Walelegn (ETH) 1:01:59
4. Alex Korio (KEN) 1:02:06
5. Guye Adola (ETH) 1:02:06
But some Saudis complained on social media of what they called wasteful spending as the kingdom reels from slumping oil revenues, high inflation and unemployment.
The kingdom’s General Entertainment Authority on Thursday announced it will stage more than 5,000 festivals and concerts in 2018, double the number of last year, and pump $64 billion in the sector over the coming decade.
Riyadh hosted the kingdom’s first-ever jazz festival on Friday, showcasing bands from Beirut and New Orleans.
Long known for its ultra-conservative mores, the kingdom has embarked on a wide-ranging program of social reforms that includes allowing women to drive from June.
But at Saturday’s marathon, some Saudis rued the absence of women.
“We need a marathon for women,” one Twitter user said.
Source: Channel NewsAsia
- Ethiopian Athletes Dominate Aramco Houston Half Marathon
- Marathon des Alpes Maritimes: Dejene Kelkilew and Tejitu Siyum Claimed Titles
- Dubai Marathon: Men, women winners break course records as Ethiopians dominate
- Ethiopian Runners Berhanu Legese and Almaz Ayana Top Airtel Delhi Half Marathon 2017
- Feyisa Lilesa Wins NYC Half Marathon, Continues Protest against Ethiopian Government