Ethiopia athletes Amdework Walelegn and Ababel Yeshane won the men and women’s titles, respectively of the 13th Vodafone Istanbul Half Marathon, clocking respective times of 59:50 and 1:06:22.
ISTANBUL (Hurriyet Daily News)―Ethiopia athletes won four of the six medals in the 13th Vodafone Istanbul Half Marathon that was held in Turkey’s largest city on April 8.
Amdework Walelegn, a 19-year-old Ethiopian, won the men’s 21K race in 59 minutes and 50 seconds, breaking the record.
Asefa Tefera, a 25-year-old and also Ethiopian, followed him with 60 minutes and 7 seconds.
Turkish athlete Kaan Kigen Özbilen finished third, being only a second slower than Tefera.
In the women’s race, Ethiopian Ababel Yeshaneh won the gold medal in a time of 1:06:22, while her fellow citizen Roza Dereje Bekele got the silver medal with 1:07:00.
Kenyan athlete Diana Chemtai Kipyokei was third in 1:07:55.
Vodafone Istanbul Half Marathon 2018 Top Results
1. Amdework Walelegn (ETH) 59:50
2. Asefa Tefera (ETH) 1:00:07
3. Kaan Kigen Özbilen (TUR) 1:00:08
1. Ababel Yeshane (ETH) 1:06:22
2. Roza Dereje Bekele (ETH) 1:07:00
3. Diana Kipyokei (KEN) 1:07:55
The winners were given the medals in a ceremony by Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality Mayor Mevlüt Uysal and Turkish Athletics Federation head Fatih Çintimar.
More than 8,000 athletes, of whom 42 are elite, attended the races. They ran in the coastal course between the quarter of Sirkeci and Zeytinburnu port.
In 2017, the Istanbul Half Marathon was promoted to the Gold Label status by the International Association of Athletics Federations, which designates leading road races around the world.
Source: Hurriyet Daily News
- Philemon Rono (KEN) and Marta Megra (ETH) Win the 2017 Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon
- Return of land bonuses driving Ethiopian athletics success, not drugs, says gold medal winner Yomif Kejelcha
- Ethiopia’s Sule Gedo and Buze Diriba win women’s races at NYC Half Marathon and LA Marathon, respectively
- With five medals (4 gold and 1 silver), the IAAF World Indoor Championships Birmingham 2018 was a heck of a success for Ethiopia
- Former Champion Wilson Kipsang (Kenya) and Bronx Resident Buzunesh Deba (Ethiopia) Set to Run 2017 TCS New York City Marathon