On London Marathon 2018, Kenya’s Eliud Kipchoge wins men’s title for third time while compatriot Vivian Cheruiyot wins women’s race for the first time. Ethiopian athletes Shura Kitata and Tadelech Bekele respectively finished second and third on men and women’s titles, respectively.
(Al Jazeera)―Eliud Kipchoge has won the London Marathon for the third time, while there was a surprise victory for Vivian Cheruiyot in the women’s race.
Kipchoge, who skipped last year’s race to attempt a sub-two-hour marathon in Italy, could not break Dennis Kimmetto’s world record as high temperatures made running conditions difficult in the English capital.
The men’s race went out at a blistering pace, with early leader Guye Adola clocking four minutes 22 seconds in the first mile, and Farah stayed with the group until a bizarre incident when he missed his drinks bottle around the 10-mile mark, which delayed him after a heated exchange with a steward.
London Marathon 2018 Top Results
1. Eliud Kipchoge (KEN) 2:04:27
2. Shura Kitata (ETH) 2:05:00
3. Mo Farah (GBR) 2:06:32
1. Vivian Cheruiyot (KEN) 2:18:31
2. Brigid Kosgei (KEN) 2:20:13
3. Tadelech Bekele (ETH) 2:21:40
Meanwhile, Mo Farah broke the British marathon record as he finished the race third.
Women’s favorite Mary Keitany finished fifth and unable to add to her three London titles.
This allowed Cheruiyot in to take her first London crown, having won her first career marathon in Frankfurt only in October.
Briton David Weir won the men’s wheelchair race for an eighth time and Australia’s Madison de Rozario took maiden honors in the women’s wheelchair event.
Thousands of fun runners, many raising money were charity, were taking on the marathon challenge but doctors warned people to be careful and take in lots of fluids given the unseasonably hot weather in London.
Source: Al Jazeera
- Ethiopian athletes leave mark on Istanbul half marathon
- Kenyan and Ethiopian Athletes Took First and Second Places at London Marathon 2017
- Dubai Marathon: Men, women winners break course records as Ethiopians dominate
- Ethiopian runners dominate the 2018 Credit Union Cherry Blossom 10-mile race in Washington
- Ethiopian Runners Berhanu Legese and Almaz Ayana Top Airtel Delhi Half Marathon 2017