Eng. Simegnew Bekele was the Project Manager of the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam, Ethiopia’s flagship hydropower dam project, since the start of the project in 2011.
Engineer Simegnew Bekele, the Project Manager of the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD) was founded dead in his car this morning (July 26, 2018).
His body was found in his car parked at Meskel Square, in Addis Ababa.
Eng. Simegnew was the Project Manager of GERD, Ethiopia’s flagship hydropower dam project, since the start of the project in 2011.
Prior to GERD, Eng. Simegnew has served as project manager of the Gilgel Gibe I hydropower dam project, arock-filled embankment dam on the Gilgel Gibe River in Oromia Region.
After the police has conducted an investigation on the case of the death, later that day, the Federal Police Commissioner, Mr. Zeynu Jemal, held a press briefing and stated that a gun shot is the apparent cause of Eng. Simegnew’s death. However the Commissioner didn’t disclose it is whether a homicide or a suicide. The case is still under investigation.
Engineer Simegnew Bekele, 53, is survived by his wife and three children.
- Ethiopia Raised over 1.3 Billion Birr for GERD Construction in the Fiscal Year
- ‘Africans will be biggest losers after letting foreign military into their continent’
- Ethiopia, Egypt and Sudan Sign Final Contracts on Studies on Nile Dam’s Impact
- Ethiopia, Sudan, and Egypt affirm their Unity and Solidarity after Tripartite Summit in Addis Ababa
- GERD: Is Tripartite National Technical Committee Failing to Create Consensus between Ethiopia, Egypt and the Sudan?