The 547-member House of People’s Representatives of Ethiopia approves new cabinet members proposed by Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed, PhD.
ADDIS ABABA (EthiopiaOnline)―The House of People’s Representatives (HPR) of Ethiopia has unanimously approved the appointment of the new cabinet members proposed by Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed. The newly formed cabinet downsized the number of ministerial positions to twenty (20) from the previous number, twenty eight (28).
For the first time in Ethiopian history, women compose 50% of the cabinet. Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed kept his promises to bring more women to higher offices of the country by assigning significant number of women to run key ministerial portfolios including ministries of Peace, Trade and Industry, and Defense.
List of the newly appointed cabinet members & those remain at their previous positions: ministers and respective ministries (in alphabetical order of the Ministries)
- Mrs. Adanech Abebe ― Minister of Revenue
- Mr. Ahmed Shide ― Minister of Finance
- Eng. Aisha Mohammed Mussa ― Minister of Defense
- Dr. Amir Aman ― Minister of Health
- Mr. Berhanu Tsegaye ― Attorney General
- Mrs. Dagmawit Moges ― Minister of Transport
- Dr. Ergoge Tesfaye ― Minister of Labor and Social Affairs
- Mr. Fetlework Gebre-Egziabher ― Minister of Trade and Industry
- Dr. Fitsum Assefa ― Planning and Development Commission Commissioner
- Dr. Eng. Getahun Mekuria ― Minister of Innovation and Technology
- Dr. Hirut Kassaw ― Minister of Culture and Tourism
- Dr. Hirut Woldemariam Teketel ― Minister of Science and Higher Education
- Mr. Jantrar Abaye ― Minister of Urban Development and Construction
- Mrs. Muferiat Kamil ― Minister of Peace
- Mr. Oumer Hussen ― Minister of Agriculture
- Dr. Samuel Horka ― Minister of Mines and Petroleum
- Dr. Sileshi Bekele ― Minister of Water Irrigation and Electricity
- Dr. Tilaye Gete Ambaye ― Minister of Education
- Dr. Workneh Gebeyehu ― Minister of Foreign Affairs
- Mrs. Yalem-Tsegay Asfaw ― Minister of Women, Children and Youth
HE PM Abiy Ahmed has formed a new cabinet. He downsized the number of ministerial positions to 20. Women compose 50% of the new cabinet. Women are assignedto to run key ministerial portfolios including ministries of Peace, Trade and Industry, and Defense. #Ethiopia pic.twitter.com/cWApq587sZ
— Fitsum Arega (@fitsumaregaa) October 16, 2018
- Ethiopia’s new Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed names cabinet
- Ethiopia: EPRDF Appoints New Cabinet Ministers and Members
- Newsweek: Can Ethiopia’s New Cabinet Address the Oromo Protests?
- The Oromo Democratic Party (ODP) is the new OPDO, with Abiy Ahmed and Lemma Megersa as its leaders
- UPDATE: The rebranding of ANDM to Amhara Democratic Party (ADP) and Demeke Mekonne voted not to retire