One of the greatest athletes of all time, Haile Gebrselassie, has launched Haile Coffee – a specialty coffee brand harvested Haile Estate Plantation.
(Sport Industry Insider)―It has been 25 years since George Foreman became perhaps the most famous example of a sporting superstar disrupting the F&B market. His eponymous ‘lean mean, fat reducing grilling machine’ proved a must-have kitchen accessory in the nineties and noughties; for a generation of people, the former world heavyweight boxing champion’s name is more synonymous with food than his fists.
There have been other more recent examples, with American football player Brandon Merriweather launching a successful takeaway food app in the United States called Takeout Waiter, while another football player Brian Orakpo has opened more than 100 outlets of his Gigi’s Cupcakes brand.
Now one of the world’s most celebrated long-distance runners is looking to get in on the act.
Before Mo Farah stole the hearts of athletics fans, there was Haile Gebrselassie. The Ethiopian, famous for his infectious smile, won successive 10,000m gold medals at the 1996 and 2000 Olympics, as well as setting 27 world records and claiming eight World Championship titles.
Haile retired as a legend of his sport in 2015 and unsurprisingly has not been short of speaking engagements since, while also serving as president of the Ethiopian Athletics Federation. However, he is determined to be an example to Ethiopian entrepreneurs, too.
Continue reading this story at Sport Industry Insider
- Haile Gebrselassie Elected as President of Ethiopian Athletics Federation
- Garden of Coffee Cultivating Ethiopian Coffee Experience for Global Growth
- Haile Gebrselassie’s Law: “Without Ethiopia, No Kenya; Without Kenya, No Ethiopia”
- The Best Coffee Roasters in the U.S. Get Their Coffee from Ethiopia – Almost All of Them, Literally
- Ethiopia’s soleRebels Shoe Founder Hopes for Repeat Success with Coffee, Launched “Garden of Coffee”